ARCHDIOCESE OF OSAKA (Osaka, Hyogo, Wakayama)

Print
BISHOP’S RESIDENCE & CHANCERY OFFICE
2-24-22, Tamatsukuri, Chuo-ku, OSAKA, 540-0004
Tel.06-6941-9700 Fax.6946-1345
CATHEDRAL
TAMATSUKURI CHURCH
2-24-22, Tamatsukuri, Chuo-ku, OSAKA, 540-0004
Tel.06-6941-2332

Archbishop

Most Reverend
Thomas Aquinas Manyo Maeda, Archbishop of Osaka

  1. March 3, 1949 Born in Kami-Goto, Nagasaki-ken
  2. March 19, 1975 Ordained Priest
  3. May 13, 2011 Appointed Bishop of Hiroshima,
  4. September 23, 2011 Ordained Bishop
  5. August 20, 2014 Appointed Archbishop of Osaka
  6. September 23, 2014 Installed

Predecessors

  • Most Rev. Felix Nicolas Midon, M.E.P. 1888-1893
  • Most Rev. Henri Vasselon, M.E.P. 1893-1896
  • Most Rev. Jules Auguste Chatron, M.E.P. 1896-1917
  • Most Rev. Jean-Baptiste Castanier, M.E.P. 1917-1940
  • Most. Rev. Paul Yoshigoro Taguchi 1941-1978
  • Most. Rev. Paul Hisao Yasuda 1978-1997
  • Most. Rev. Leo Jun Ikenaga, S.J. 1997-2014

History

    In 1888 the Apostolic Vicariate of Central Japan was established when the three regions of Kinki, Chugoku, and Shikoku were separated from the Apostolic Vicariate of Southern Japan and entrusted to the Paris Foreign Mission Society. On June 15, 1891, the Apostolic Vicariate of Central Japan was raised to the status of a diocese and constituted Osaka Diocese. The Apostolic Vicar, Msgr. Felix Nicolas Midon, M.E.P., was consecrated bishop. On January 27, 1904 all of Shikoku region was incorporated into the newly established Apostolic Prefecture of Shikoku. On May 4, 1923, the five prefectures of Okayama, Hiroshima, Yamaguchi, Shimane and Tottori were incorporated into the newly established Apostolic Vicariate of Hiroshima. On June 17, 1937, when the Apostolic Prefecture of Kyoto was established, the four prefectures of Kyoto, Nara, Mie and Shiga were incorporated into it, and the present jurisdiction consisting of Osaka, Hyogo and Wakayama prefectures was established. In 1940, upon the resignation of Bishop Jean-Baptiste Castanier, M.E.P., Fr. Yoshigoro Taguchi was appointed to succeed him and was consecrated bishop on December 14, 1941.
    On June 24, 1969, the Osaka Diocese was raised to the rank of Archdiocese and Bishop Taguchi became the first Archbishop of Osaka. On February 5, 1970, Fr. Hisao Yasuda was appointed Auxiliary Bishop. On March 5, 1973, Archbishop Taguchi was named the second Japanese cardinal. On February 23, 1978, Cardinal Taguchi died, and on November 15 of the same year Auxiliary Bishop Yasuda was appointed Archbishop of Osaka. Fr. Jun Ikenaga, S.J. was appointed Coadjutor Archbishop of Osaka on November 2, 1995. Archbishop Yasuda resigned on May 10, 1997, and Archbishop Ikenaga was installed. On April 19, 1999, Fr. Goro Matsuura was appointed Auxiliary Bishop and was consecrated on July 17 of the same year. On August 20, 2014, Archbishop Ikenaga resigned and Bp. Manyo Maeda of Hiroshima was appointed Archbishop of Osaka, who was installed on September 23.

PAGE TOP