|BISHOP’S RESIDENCE & CHANCERY OFFICE|
|6-28, Josuidori, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka, FUKUOKA, 810-0028
2-7-7, Daimyo, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka, FUKUOKA, 810-0041
Josep Maria Abella, Bishop of Fukuoka
- November 3, 1949 Born in Lleida, Spain
- July 12, 1975 Ordained Priest
- June 2, 2018 Appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Osaka
- July 16, 2018 Ordained Bishop
- April 14, 2020 Appointed Bishop of Fukuoka
- May 17, 2020 Installed
- Most Rev. Fernand Thiry, M.E.P. 1927-1930
- Most Rev. Albert Breton, M.E.P. 1930-1941
- Most Rev. Dominic Sen’emon Fukahori 1941-1969
- Most Rev. Peter Saburo Hirata 1969-1990
- Most Rev. Joseph Hisajiro Matsunaga 1991-2006
- Most Rev. Dominic Ryoji Miyahara 2008-2019
Fukuoka Diocese was established on July 16, 1927 when five prefectures (Fukuoka, Saga, Kumamoto, Oita, Miyazaki) were separated from Nagasaki Diocese and entrusted to the Paris Foreign Mission Society. The first bishop was Most Rev. Fernand Thiry, M.E.P. Bishop Albert Breton then served from 1930. Miyazaki and Oita prefectures, which were entrusted to the Salesians from March 29, 1928, were separated and became the Apostolic Prefecture of Miyazaki. When Bishop Breton retired in 1941, Msgr. Sen’emon Fukahori became Apostolic Administrator. He was consecrated bishop on May 28, 1944.
On November 15, 1969, Bishop Fukahori resigned and Bishop Saburo Hirata, who had been Bishop of Oita, was appointed to replace him. When Bishop Hirata resigned on October 6, 1990, Bishop Hisajiro Matsunaga, who had been Auxiliary Bishop of Nagasaki, was appointed to succeed him. Bishop Matsunaga was installed on January 15 of the following year.
On June 2, 2006, Bishop Matsunaga passed away and the see became vacant. Fr. Soichi Kawakami served as Diocesan Administrator.
On March 19, 2008, Bishop Ryoji Miyahara of Oita was appointed Bishop of Fukuoka and installed on May 28, 2008.
On April 27, 2019, the resignation of Bishop Miyahara was announced and the see has become vacant. Fr. Hironobu Sugihara serves as Apostolic Administrator.