|BISHOP’S RESIDENCE & CHANCERY OFFICE|
|6-28, Josuidori, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka, FUKUOKA, 810-0028
2-7-7, Daimyo, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka, FUKUOKA, 810-0041
Dominic Ryoji Miyahara, Bishop of Fukuoka
- June 22, 1955 Born in Wakamatsu-cho, Nagasaki-ken
- March 19, 1982 Ordained Priest
- May 10, 2000 Appointed Bishop of Oita
- October 1, 2000 Ordained Bishop
- March 19, 2008 Appointed Bishop of Fukuoka
- May 28, 2008 Installed
- Most Rev. Fernand Thiry, M.E.P. 1927-1930
- Most Rev. Albert Breton, M.E.P. 1930-1941
- Most Rev. Dominic Sen’emon Fukahori 1941-1969
- Most Rev. Peter Saburo Hirata 1969-1990
- Most Rev. Joseph Hisajiro Matsunaga 1991-2006
Fukuoka Diocese was established on July 16, 1927 when five prefectures (Fukuoka, Saga, Kumamoto, Oita, Miyazaki) were separated from Nagasaki Diocese and entrusted to the Paris Foreign Mission Society. The first bishop was Most Rev. Fernand Thiry, M.E.P. Bishop Albert Breton then served from 1930. Miyazaki and Oita prefectures, which were entrusted to the Salesians from March 29, 1928, were separated and became the Apostolic Prefecture of Miyazaki. When Bishop Breton retired in 1941, Msgr. Sen’emon Fukahori became Apostolic Administrator. He was consecrated bishop on May 28, 1944.
On November 15, 1969, Bishop Fukahori resigned and Bishop Saburo Hirata, who had been Bishop of Oita, was appointed to replace him. When Bishop Hirata resigned on October 6, 1990, Bishop Hisajiro Matsunaga, who had been Auxiliary Bishop of Nagasaki, was appointed to succeed him. Bishop Matsunaga was installed on January 15 of the following year.
On June 2, 2006 Bishop Matsunaga passed away and the see is vacant at this time. Fr. Soichi Kawakami serves as Diocesan Administrator.
On March 19, 2008, Bishop Ryoji Miyahara of Oita was appointed Bishop of Fukuoka and installed on May 28, 2008.