DIOCESE OF KYOTO (Kyoto, Shiga, Nara, Mie)

Print
BISHOP’S RESIDENCE
Kawaramachidori-sanjoagaru, Nakagyo-ku, KYOTO, 604-8006
TEL.075-211-6766 FAX.211-3041
CHANCERY OFFICE
Kawaramachidori-sanjoagaru, Nakagyo-ku, KYOTO, 604-8006
TEL.075-211-3025 FAX.211-3041
CATHEDRAL
KAWARAMACHI CHURCH
Kawaramachidori-sanjoagaru, Nakagyo-ku, KYOTO, 604-8006
TEL.075-231-4785 FAX.211-8021

Bishop

Most Reverend
Paul Yoshinao Otsuka, Bishop of Kyoto

  1. October 7, 1954 Born in Kyoto-shi, Kyoto-fu
  2. March 20, 1984 Ordained Priest
  3. March 3, 1997 Appointed Bishop of Kyoto
  4. June 15, 1997 Ordained Bishop

Predecessors

  • Msgr. Patrick Byrne, M.M. 1937-1940
  • Most Rev. Paul Yoshiyuki Furuya 1940-1976
  • Most Rev. Raymond Ken’ichi Tanaka 1976-1997

History

    The Apostolic Prefecture of Kyoto was established on June 17, 1937 from the four prefectures of Kyoto, Mie, Shiga and Nara, which had belonged to the Diocese of Osaka. It was entrusted to the Maryknoll Fathers. The first Apostolic Prefect was Msgr. Patrick Byrne, M.M. With his resignation in 1940, Fr. Yoshiyuki Furuya became Apostolic Prefect.
    On July 12, 1951, the Apostolic Prefecture was raised to the status of a diocese, and Msgr. Furuya was consecrated the first Bishop of Kyoto on September 21 of the same year. With the resignation of Bishop Furuya, Fr. Ken’ichi Tanaka was appointed Bishop of Kyoto on July 8, 1976, and was consecrated on September 23 of the same year. Bishop Tanaka resigned for health reasons as of March 3, 1997, and Fr. Yoshinao Otsuka was appointed his successor. He was consecrated bishop on June 15 of the same year and continues to serve as Bishop of Kyoto.

PAGE TOP